Welcome to the Goyen Family Tree. I’ve spent time gathering the information you find here. I hope you enjoy the site. If you have any corrections, disagree with anything I’ve listed, or need to confirm any details, drop me an email at email@example.com, or leave a message. This site is not complete – probably never will be – but I’d like to make sure everything listed here is as correct as it can be based on the information I have.
(150 years of photos of my Goyen family – 360 years traced, and counting)
Oldest Confirmed Ancestor (where I can link directly back from child to parent):
Drury Goyen b. 1749 m. Sarah Baxter.
Children of Drury Goyen and Sarah Baxter:
1) Martha Going born about 1768 – d. Aug 19, 1813, (Married 1790 to – Larkin “Asa” Tindall (d 1841)- moved to Warren County, Ga).
2) Elijah Going born in 1770 – d. 1807 (Chester, SC)
3) Job Going b. Sept 5, 1772 Chester, SC-d. April 23, 1854, Tuscaloosa Co, AL m. Rebecca Lockert – of Aaron and Sarah Miles Lockert
4) Isaac Going born April 28, 1775 (Chester, SC) – (Married on Aug 21, 1804 to Rebecca Palmer)
5) James Goyne born in 1777
6) Sarah Baxter Going born 1786
7) Mary Going born in 1787
8) Rebecca Going born about 1789
9) Thomas Baxter Going born in 1795
(Note: My line descends from Drury Goyen b. 1749 to his son Elijah Going b. abt 1770 listed above, to his son Drury B. Goyen b. abt 1805, to his son William W. Goyen b. abt 1827, to his son John Bell Goyen b. in 1860 who moved his (our) family to Houston, Texas).
Other Lines Related to Drury Goyen (cousins): Y-DNA results show Drury Goyen b. 1749’s line is related to several other Goyne, Going, Gowan, etc lines – most who lived in or near South Carolina where Drury Goyen b. 1749 lived as an adult. Most of these other Goyne, Going, Gowan, etc. lines are in the same position as we are – a brick wall – where they do not know for sure who the parent was of their oldest known ancestor (who are about the same age as Drury Goyen b. 1749. It is possible that the county where their parents lived had their courthouse documents destroyed – fires destroyed many county records over the years.
John Gowen b. 1720-30 – Lunenburg Va, Orange Co NC, Marion Co, SC
William Goyne b. 1733 from Va – NC – SC – Rutherford Co, NC
Drury Going b. 1749 – 1797 SC – Chester Co, SC
Thomas Goin b. 1750/55 – Va to SC to NC to TN
James Goyne b. 1755 – lived in SC to MS/LA – b in Lunenburg Co, Va
William Henry Gowan b. 1792 in Goochland Co, Va
Jessie Goin b. 1794 – Buckingham Co, Va died in Appomattox Co, Va
Edmond Goins b. 1799 – d. 1860 in Rutherford Co, NC to Bradley Co, TN
John W. Goen b. 1804 Hawkins Co, TN d in Jackson Co, TN.
Joseph Edward Goins b. April 17, 1895 – Bridgeport, Tx
(Note – Various Spellings: Documents indicate that Drury Goyen alternately spelled his last name as Drury Goyen, Drury Going, Drury Goin, Drury Goen, Drury Goyne, Drury Goyn, Drury Goyin, Drury Gowen, and Drury Gowing … so his children, and their lines, chose among these different spellings for their surnames. Spelling of many surnames did not begin to be exact, or “locked in”, until years after the dictionary was introduced in America in 1808. You can notice in documents that spelling became much more standard in the years after Webster published his dictionary in 1828 … spelling in documents, especially for last names, become set during the 1850s-1870s. By the 1870s, the spellings of became fairly uniform. Before the use of the dictionary became wide-spread, exact spelling of words, and surnames did not appear to be a top priority in education – as even educated people spelled words or names differently – even in the same document they would change the spelling from one paragraph to another).
Areas of This Website
List of Pages on this Website:
Site Index: This page is the “Sitemap” and includes a list of names included in this website and where to find them. (In Progress). I have placed the estimated date of birth prior to the name.
The above “Site Index” lists all the pages I was able to copy from the “Gowen Manuscript”, in order to preserve that information – as it appeared nobody was keeping up that site any longer.
Research: I have created pages for different states and their counties – I have listed the information found on “Going” type surnames or information I think may help in researching those counties. I list all surnames that appear to be a Going/Goyen/Gowan type name – without determining if they related to any line. I list this info for research purposes – for myself, and for anyone else to use who is doing research on their line.
Scroll down the list on the Sitemap to find areas you might be interested in. The list is long, so I use the “Find” function on my internet browser to look for areas I want to find. Example: If I’m looking for info in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, I will go to the Sitemap and pull up my “Find” function, and type “Tuscaloosa” – to find any pages about Tuscaloosa and info I have previously found in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
DNA Studies: I’ve tested my Y-DNA and found several “Goin, Goen, Goins, Gowan” type matches, as well as some other interesting info. Follow this link to see the results:
Y-DNA Matches (page that shows people who have tested their Y-DNA matching our line).
Y-DNA Matches with Hollis Family (the Hollis family has had several people that match with our Goyen/Going line with the same Y-DNA results – this page looks at those matches and attempts to use that information by triangulating those who match and their ancestors to see where they crossed paths, and use that information to resolve a few “brick walls”).
Useful Links to Other Sites: https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/information-links/ (These are sites I found helpful in searching for ancestors).
Pages of interest:
Going/Goyen/Goyne family – my Y-DNA match:
- 1680 b. before – William Gowing of Stafford Co, VA. m. to Catherine Padderson (Y1)
- 1720-1730 John Going Jr of Lunenburg Co, Va, and Orange Co, NC, Robeson County, NC (Y1)
- 1730-35 William Goyne of Lunenburg Co, Va, Orange Co, NC, Rutherford Co, NC, then Georgia (Y1)
- 1749 Drury Goyen m. to Sarah living in Chester Co, SC (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1750 Thomas Goin b. in Brunswick Co, Va – d. in Claiborne Co, TN (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1750-1755 John Gowen of Marion Co, SC and Robeson Co, SC (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1755 James Goyne b. in SC, moved to Mississippi (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1792 William Henry Gowan in Goochland Co, Va (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1794 Jesse Goin b. in Buckingham Co, Va – d. in Appomattox Co, Va (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1804 John Waller Goen b in NC – d. 1868 in Jackson Co, IN. (Y1) (unk parents)
- 1896 Apr 17 – Joseph Edward Goins b. in Bridgeport, Tx – d. in Davidson Co, TN (Y1) (unk parents)
Based on records the male descendants of the following individuals should be (Y1), but I am unaware of any Y-DNA test results from any of their descendants.
- 1700-05 William Gowen of Granville Co, NC and Spartanburg Co, SC m. Sarah Allen (assumed to be Y1, no tests of descendants known)
- 1753 Daniel Going married to Jean Going in Fairfield Co, SC (assumed to be Y1, no tests of descendants known)
- 1758 Henry Going m. Jane Hall in Fairfield County, SC (assumed to be Y1, no tests of descendats known)
- 1762 Levi Goins of Moore Co, NC (assumed to be Y1, no tests of descendants known)
Various other Gowen lines in Virginia, North Carolina and/or South Carolina with Y-DNA results:
- 1730 William Gowen m. Annester Gowen – from Bedford Co, Va (Y2)
- 1730-35 Shadrack Going in Hanover Co Va to Patrick Co Va (Y3)
- 1752 Daniel Goan possibly immigrated from England (Y4)
Various other Gowen lines in Virginia, North Carolina and/or South Carolina without known Y-DNA results:
- 1630 Mihil Gowen black servant given freedom in 1657
- 1650 Philip Gowen living in Warwick Co, Va
- 1668 John Gowen b York Co, Va
- 1679 Michael Gowen of Gloucester Co, Va
- 1681 Phillip Gowen of New Kent Co, Va
- 1705 to 1715 William Gowan m. Anna Statia Sullivan in Goochland Co, Va
- 1720 William Gowen b. abt 1720, of Davidson Co, TN
Going and Lamphier families of Clonmel Ireland – to Fairfax Va:
- 1635 James Going b. abt 1635, mayor of Clonmel, Ireland
- 1665 Thomas Lanphier I b. abt 1665 in Tipperary, Ireland, m. Elizabeth Kyle
- 1667 Robert Going b. 1667 in Co Tipperary, Munster, Irish Republic, m. Mary Rowe
- 1704 Elizabeth Going b. 1704 in Ireland m. to Thomas Lanphier, living in MD
- 1727 Going Lanphier b. 1727 living in Fairfax Co, Va
Gowen/Gowing family of Massachusets and Maine:
- 1618 Robert Gowing b. abt 1618 in Scotland, immigrated to Massachusetts
- 1634 William Gowen b. 1634 in Scotland, immig. to Massachusetts
- 1667 Nicholas Gowen b. abt 1667 in Kittery, Maine
- 1668 John Gowen b. 1668 in Kittery, Maine
- 1705 William Gowen b. 1705 in Kittery, Maine
- 1715 Capt. James Gowen b. 1715 in Kittery, Maine
- 1730 Daniel Gowing b abt 1730 m. Martha Lamberd in Massachusetts
- 1745 Patrick Gowen, Jr b. 1745 in Berwick, Maine, of York Co, Mass.
- 1754 James Gowen b. 1754 in Falmouth, Mass.
- 1755 James Newton Gowen b. 1755 of Massachusetts
- 1763 John Gowen b. 1763 in Wells, Mass
Harrison Family Info:
- 1776-77 William Harrison of Chatham County and Effingham County, Georgia
- 1857 George Cohen Harrison born near Savannah, Georgia, died in Fort Worth, Texas
- Harrison – Brunswick County, Virginia notes
- Harrison family info of Barbados
- Harrison Family Info, Chatham and Effingham Co, Ga
- Harrison family info, misc Georgia counties, research in progress
- Harrison family notes in Virginia
- Harrison family South Carolina info
- Harrison in North Carolina
- Harrison info found at Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia’s Northern Neck Counties
Hollis Family Info:
- 1612 to 1615 John Hollis of MD and VA
- 1700 John Hollis of Fairfax Co, VA
- Hollis and Hallowes Work docs and pages
Keller Family Info:
- 1725 George Adam Keller
- 1749-53 Adam Keller in Newberry Co, SC son of George Adam Keller
- 1755-1760 George Paul Keller
- 1761 Jacob Keller of Newberry County, South Carolina
- 1762 Mary Keller married to Allen Griffin
- Keller Family Info in Georgia and South Carolina
Elkins Family Info:
- 1783 Thomas Elkins of Effingham County, Georgia
- Elkins in North Carolina
- Elkins in South Carolina
- Elkins info in Georgia and nearby
Bland Family Info:
- 1742 Edward Bland b. in Prince William County, Virginia, died 1800 in York County, South Carolina
- 1770 Elijah Goyen married Doshea Bland (Y1)
- Bland family info and sources
- Bland family of Barbados and South Carolina
- Bland Family of Stafford, Prince William, Loudoun Co’s Va, and Edgefield County, SC
- Bland Family of York Co and Charles City Co, Virginia
- Bland family records in Maryland
- Bland Group 2 Tree
Bell Family Info:
- 1754 William Bell m. Margaret Ann Montgomery 1755–1798
- 1775 William Bell of Fairfield Co, SC
- 1789 Hugh Bell m. Martha Watt 1793-1871 of Fairfield Co, SC and then Oktibbeha Co, Miss
- Bell family South Carolina notes
Eubanks Family Info:
Minor Family Info:
- 1800 Samuel Minor
- 1829 Daniel Keller Minor
- 1830 Isaac Minor
- 1835 Samuel Minor
- 1845 Theodore Henry Minor
- 1875 John Francis Minor
- Minor Family of Canada
- Minor photos in Arcata, California
Early State Records: