Sophia Going Jr b. abt 1760 m. David Logan
- Alexander Gowen b. 1715 – d. bef. Feb 1775, married to Sophia (unk maiden name, she also appears to have used the name Scythe) – Stafford Va till 1739, Orange Co NC 1753, Fairfax 1768-74, Pittsylvania Co 1773-75
- Alexander Gowen Jr b. abt 1748 – d. ? (Note: listed as buyer in probate and living next to Suffiah after Alexander Gowen’s death)
- John Goyen b. abt 1750 (Note: maybe a child of Alexander – listed as buyer in probate, and living next to Suffiah after Alexander Gowen’s death. The confusing thing about the probate is that he is named “John Going Jr” which may mean this is actually Alexander Gowen’s nephew (son of John Going and Mary Keith Going).
- Jesse Gowing b. abt abt 1752 (Note: listed living next to Suffiah after Alexander’s death).
- Daniel Gowing b. abt 1753 (Note: listed in probate as a buyer at estate, and living with Suffiah after Alexander’s death. One of the biggest buyers at Alexander’s estate sale).
- Henry Going b. abt. 1755 – d. 1807 m. Jane Hall (presumed son of Alexander Gowen)
- Dian Gowing b. abt 1756 m. John Kenedy (Canaday) b. abt 1755 (see new information – suit in 1807 by her children against Sophia Gowing and Sherwood Gowing – found in Virginia Chancery Index – file 1809-001 shows she is a daughter of Alexander Gowing)
- Sophia Gowing Jr b. abt 1760 m. David Logan (Note: listed in probate as buyer, files suit against mother Sophia as admin of Alexander’s estate).
- Sherwood Gowing b. abt abt 1768 (Note: Dian’s lawsuit against Alexander’s estate confirms Sherwood is a son of Sophia (wife of Alexander) – confirming Sherwood is a son of Alexander.).
Facts and Events:
(Below are different Going, Goyen, Gowen related sources for those people were in the Virginia, North Carolina, or South Carolina areas in the early 1700’s to early 1800’s)
FACTS and NOTES:
Lythe Gowing married William Carter 27 January 1792 Pittsylvania County bond.
Sophia Going Sr was called the administrator of the estate of Alexander Going, deceased, when she was sued by Sophia Going, Junior, on 20 March 1798 on testimony of James Saunders of Caswell County, North Carolina. Sophia, Sr., was apparently living on land claimed by George Clopton on 21 May 1798 when he sued Sophia, John, Jesse and Sherwood Going as tenants [Orders 1783-7, 354; 1795-8, 461, 479, 486; 1798-1801, 23, 59].
1798 March 20 – Sophia Going Sr was called the administrator of the estate of Alexander Going, deceased, when she was sued by Sophia Going, Junior, on 20 March 1798. Pittsylvania Co, Va
1798 Nov – Court: Clopton v Going, Nov 1798, , Pittsylvania, Virginia, USA. “November Court 1798
George Clopton … Demandant
Sophia Going, Jesse Going, John Going and Sherwood Going .. Tenants – Upon a Writ of Right…” Pittsylvania Co, Va
1798 May 21- Sophia Going Sr, John Going, Jesse Going, and Sherwood Going sued by George Clompton on testimony of James Saunders of Caswell County, North Carolina. Sophia Going, Sr., was apparently living on land claimed by George Clopton on 21 May 1798 when he sued Sophia, John, Jesse and Sherwood Going as tenants [Orders 1783-7, 354; 1795-8, 461, 479, 486; 1798-1801, 23, 59]. Pittsylvania Co, Va
1798 Nov 20 – Sophia Going, Jr., mother of illegitimate child Benjamin Going bound out by the Pittsylvania County court on 20 November 1798 [Orders 1798-1801, 58]. Pittsylvania Co, Va. http://www.freeafricanamericans.com/Gibson_Gowen.htm
1799 Nov 21 – Sophia Going Jr., perhaps suing for her part of her father’s estate, was awarded 20 pounds, 5 shillings by a jury on 21 November 1799. – Sherwood Going became a defendant in the suit when Sophia, Sr., failed to meet the payment of a bond [Orders 1798-1801, 109, 180, 204, 233] Pittsylvania Co, Va
1800 June 16 – Sophia Going Sr to Sherwood Going – (NOTE: This is the mother of Sophia Going Jr of this page)
Deed: Gift or personal property from Sophia Gowen to her son Sherwood, 16 Jun 1800, Pittsylvania, Virginia, USA. Image and transcription courtesy Beth Carruth 2014
“Sophia Going to Sherwood Going 1800 household goods and stock
Be it remembered that these presents comes Greeting and made known to all whom it may concern that Whereas my Son Sherwood Going hath paid and advanced sundry sums of Money for me at divers times to amount equal in value to what shall be herein after conveyed to compensate him. Be it known that I Sophia Going of the County of Pittsylvania and State afd. as well for the foregoing consideration as for the love I bear for him as a Child do by these presents make over, sell, alien, enfeoff and confirm to him the said Sherwood Going, and do moreover deliver by Virtue of this Indenture to the sd Sherwood and his heirs for ever the following property, to wit, Negro Sary Negro Tom, one Sorrel Mare, one dark bay Horse, Colt, two Cows, one Stear yearling one Heifer yearling, one Desk, one Chest, one Cubbard, two Beds and furnature – Six puter basons, one dozen and half of puter plates, two dozen of Earthen plates, one pare of Stillards and the hole of my Castings and one Walnut Table, two Bedsteads, five Chairs, three Warter Vessels, one Case of Knives & forks and all her plantation Utensils and thre Pewter Dishes, one box Iron & heaters. Which said goods and Chattles, Stock, furniture and other property I the said Sophia do & will Warrant and for ever defend against the claim or demand of all and every Person or persons whatsoever but to the only proper use and behoof of him the said Sherwood and is heirs and assigns for ever And further covenant to Warrant and defend a good and Lawful title in and to the said Property to him the said Sherwood and to his heirs and assigns for ever In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my Seal this 16th day of April 1800 – Suffiah Gowin (seal)
Sealed and delivered in the presence off.. John Winters, Wm. Wright
At a Court held for Pittsylvania County June the 16th. 1800 – This Bill of Sale was presented in Court and proved by the Oaths of two of the witnesses thereto to be the act and deed of the within named Sophia Gowing party thereto Ordered that the same be recorded –
Teste Will Tunstall C P C
From Pittsylvania County Deed Book 12, p. 153″
1800 June 16 Sherwood Going and Sophia Going Pittsylvania Va bk 12 153