Robert Going b. 1667 in Co Tipperary, Munster, Irish Republic, m. Mary Rowe
- James Going I (a 1635 – )
Children of Robert Going and Mary Rowe:
- John Going (a 1685 – ) m. ? (Married in Plymouth, England – wife and children still there when sister Elizabeth left for America). (Unk names) (sister Elizabeth was still a child when John left for England and got married).
- Philip Going (a 1686 – ) m. Sarah Pike, then m. Mary Knight, then m. Susanna Gedding
- James Going (1693 – 1762) m. Dorothy Tyeney, then m. Elizabeth Kyle
- Mary Going (a 1698 – a 1730/31) m. James Walpoole
- Sarah Going (a 1702 – ) m. Richard Franklin (attorney)
- Robert Going II (a 1700 – 12 Apr 1774) m. Jane Johnston
- Elizabeth Going (b. 1704 – d. ) m. Thomas Lanphier
- James Going II (a 1661 – ) m. ?, with 1 son Richard, and 3 dau Mary, Rebecca and Sussanna
- Richard Going (a 1663 – ) m. and lives in Bristol, mayor of Clonmel in 1738
- Mary Going (a 1665 – ) m. E. White (decd bef. 1767)
- Robert Going I (1667 – b 1732) m. Mary Rowe
FACTS and NOTES:
Robert Going I was born in 1667 at Co Tipperary, Munster, Irish Republic. He was the son of James Going I. Robert Going I married Mary Rowe, daughter of Gregory Rowe, a 1685. Robert Going I died b 1732 at Upper Ormond, Co Tipperary, Munster, Irish Republic. His estate was probated in 1732 at Crannagh, Co Tipperary, Munster, Irish Republic.
The County Tipperary landed Going families have not traced their ancestry back further than the late 1600s, but ten Going households were on the 1664 County Tipperary hearth money rolls. The name Going may be an anglicized form of the French Gouin. The Goins, Guins and Goings were Huguenots.
Robert Going was born at Crannagh Castle near Birdhill, one of the many Going family homes, and died at Rathurles Castle both of which are in Tipperary Co, Munster, Republic of Ireland. He probably married at Liskeveen in the same county. He was a gentleman who dispensed to his family cash valued at five hundred pounds sterling in his will.
- Elizabeth Going Lanphier Deposition. Elizabeth Going Lanphier (1704-1767) Deposition, Prince George County, Maryland Deed, LDS film 0014253, item 1, p. 42-44, 23 Sep 1767. Hereinafter cited as Elizabeth Going Lanphier Deposition.
- Janet Beall Broadbent Research. “Janet Beall Broadbent (1927-2018) Research”, 1986-1992, (Los Altos, CA) to Virginia Custis Winslett (Naples. FL). Janet conducted extensive research on the Martin family in original records held by the LDS Church. Hereinafter cited as “Janet Beall Broadbent Research.”
- “Robert Going of Munster.” Rev C. C. Ellison, author, Rosemary Folliott, editor, “Robert Going (1667-b. 1732) of Munster,” The Irish Ancestor, Volume 9, Num 1, p. 21-43, (Irish Ancestor Magazine, revised 1977). Copy provided by Janet Beal Broadbent. Hereinafter cited as “Robert Going of Munster.”
- Irish Will Index 1618, LDS 1279253, items 23-24. Irish Wills Index of 1618-1800, Lanphier and Going families, LDS 1279253, items 23-24, Consistory Court, Diocese of Cashel and Emly, Church of Ireland. The Irish Will Index is searchable with a paid subscription at http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7287. Hereinafter cited as Irish Will Index 1618.
- Ed MacLysaght, Irish Family Supplement. Ed MacLysaght, compiler, Supplement to Irish Families, p. 81 (Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1964). Hereinafter cited as Irish Family Supplement.
LDS film 0014 253 item 1. p 42- 44
Liber BB #2 1767-1769 PG Co, MD
ELIZABETH LAMPHIER’s DEPOSITION Prince Georges Co., MD Deeds (transcribed by Janet B. Broadbent from the film and sent to Ellen L Martin in 1993)
At the request of Elizabeth Lamphier the following Deposition was Recorded Sept 23rd 1767.
The deposition of Elizabeth Lamphier, Widow and Relict of Thomas Lamphier Deceased , aged about Sixty Three years.
This Deponent Saith that She is daughter to Robert Going & Mary his Wife, who was a Daughter to Gregory Rowe both Deceased, by whom he had four sons and three daughters, to wit John, Philip, James, Mary, Sarah, Robert & This Deponent Elizabeth.
This Deponent further Saith that John The Eldest Son left Ireland when this Deponent was a child, and Returned some years after and Staid a year or thereabouts, from whence he went to England as She This Deponent Believes and Married at Plymouth, and after his Said Marriage Came to Ireland to see his Relations and Returned to his wife & children.
Philip The Second Son married Sarah Pike who Died, after her Death he Married Mary Knight who also died and after her Death he Married Susanna Gedding.
James The Third son Married Dorothy Tyeney who died, and after her Death Elizabeth Kyle.
Mary The first Daughter Married to James Walpoole.
Robert The Last Son Married Jane Johnston.
Sarah The Second Daughter Married Richard Franklin an Attorney [sic].
And the Deponent further Saith That all her said Brothers and Sisters, except her Sister Mary and her husband James Walpole were living in the County of Tipperary in the Kingdom of Ireland when She The Deponent left Ireland.
And This Deponent further Saith That She this Deponent married Thomas Lamphier at Leuskuvenie? In the Said County of Tipperary, who was Son to Thomas Lamphier of the Said County and Elizabeth his Wife Daughter to Mr. Kyle.
And This Deponent further Saith that her Said Father Robert Going has two Brothers and one Sister, Viz. Richard, Mary & James.
This Deponent further Saith that Richard Married and lived in Bristol.
Also That Mary Married E. White who is now Dead.
And that James lived in Clonmel.
This Deponent further Saith that the Said James had one Sone Richard and Three Daughters, Mary, Rebecca & Sussanna who were living and married except Susanna. And this Deponent further saith that The Said Richard was Mayor of Clonmel when she, This Deponent left Ireland, as his Father James had been several Times before.
And this Deponent further Saith That her Mother’s Sister Sarah Rowe was married to John Bagwell & had one son and two Daughters, Viz John, Mary, and Sarah &
This Deponent Saith that The Said John was a Banker & Merchant in the Town of Clonmell.
And this Deponent further Saith that Thomas Lamphier, This Deponents Husband was reputed Son to Thomas Lamphier of The Said County of Tipperary & that he lived at Coreigheen ? where she This Deponent married The Said Thomas Lamphier Jr. and
This Deponent Saith That the Said Thomas Lamphier had by his Wife Elizabeth, formerly Elizabeth Kyle, Daughter to the aforesaid Mr. Kyle four Sons and Three Daughters to Wit.
Elizabeth, who afterward married John Burgess.
William Lamphier, Mary who afterward married Joseph Tenson,
& this Deponent’s Husband Thomas Lamphier,
John Lamphier, &
And this Deponent further saith That Henry Burgess, Son to John Burgess who Married The aforesaid Elizabeth Daughter to the aforesaid Thomas Lamphier Senr a Cloathier by Trade Came with his Uncle Thomas Lamphier This Deponent’s Husband & The Rest of the Family to America, which Said Henry Burgess died a few years ago as This Deponent understood by a Letter from his widow to John Patterson This Deponent’s Son in Law informing him of his the Said Henry’s Death & also That he left Six Children, Three of Them were by a former Wife.
And this Deponent further Saith that William Lamphier eldest son to the aforesaid Thomas Lamphier Sen~ Married Elizabeth Lane, Sister to Ambrose Lane of Lane’s Park which Said Elizabeth is Since dead, as She This Deponent understood by Letter written by the Said William Lamphier to his Brother Thomas Lamphier This Deponent’s Husband & also that he had married one Evans.
And This Deponent further Saith Saith that Mary Daughter to the aforesaid Thomas Lamphier Senior Married Joseph Tinson son to Joseph Tinson of Orchard Town near Clonmell, and that After The Said Mary’s Death that he The Said Joseph Tinson Married Garter Hunt Daughter to John Hunt of Clonag.
And This Deponent further Saith that Joseph Lamphier married Elizabeth Bradshaw Daughter to Robt Bradshaw of the County of Limerick.
And this Deponent further Saith That William and Joseph Lamphier & Their Wives, John Burgess & his wife, Joseph Tinson and his Second Wife Garter Tinson, John Lamphier who was unmarried were all alive when She this Deponent left the Kingdom of Ireland.
And this Deponent further saith that Sarah Lamphier died of the Smallpox before this Deponent left the said Kingdom.
And this Deponent further Saith that Thomas Lamphier Senr & Elizabeth his Wife allowed themselves to be sponsers for this Deponent when this Deponent was Baptized.
And this Deponent further Saith that the Said Thomas Lamphier, Father to This Deponents Husband & the above mentioned Sons & Daughters Died The August Before This Deponent left The Said Kingdom of Ireland at the aforesaid Town of Coeigheen having his Widow Elizabeth to the Care of Their Son John Lamphier, who was making Preparation to move to a Farm Called Park town.
And this Deponent further Saith That She This Deponent together with her Said Husband Thomas Lamphier & the Rest of the Family left the said Kingdom of Ireland in the Year one Thousand Seven Hundred and Thirty Eight.
And This Deponent Further Saith that Going Lamphier, Susanna who married John Patterson and Venus Lamphier are the lawful children of The Said Thomas Lamphier Begotten on This Deponent’s body.
And this Deponent further Saith that the aforesaid Going Lamphier, Susanna Patterson & Venus Lamphier are now aliving, Going in Fairfax County in The Colony of Virginia & Susanna Patterson & Venus Lamphier in The Province of Maryland.
/S/ Elizabeth Lamphier