The following are Goings who were listed as participating in the Revolutionary War, most as soldiers of some sort but some in support capacity:
Goings participating in the Revolution:
1) Allen Gowen in South Carolina ensign with Major John Buck Gowen in Col Roebuck’s Battalion. – TN, Marion Co – Stephen Thompson pension app under Capt John Gowen and Ensign Allin Gowen in SC
2) Amos Gowen – killed by the Torries in the field in South
3) Anderson Gaun in Western Battalion Va (copy difficult to read – may not be Gaun).
4) Benjamin Gowin in 4th 8th and 12th Regt Va 1778 and 1779
6) Charles Gowing resided in Henry Co, Va when enlisted Sept 1, 1779 under Capt Jonathan Hanby. 1781 in Western Battalion in Va under Capt Jonathan Hanby. Applied for pension in Gallatin Co, KY. https://www.fold3.com/image/1/21819928 (Pension app). https://www.fold3.com/image/14419230 (acting as wit for Charles Rose pension).
7) Daniel Goyen – served under Lt. John Hollis in the militia during 1782. A.A.3015; Q476.
8) Daniel Goins served in Va 5th Regiment, drew pension in Campbell Co, TN https://www.fold3.com/image/1/22778211 (pension). https://www.fold3.com/image/23663538?terms=Going (service rec), https://www.fold3.com/image/249486370?terms=Going (final payment voucher out of Knoxville, TN). https://www.fold3.com/image/9647051?terms=Going (roll)
9) David Going – enlisted in the 6th Regiment on 22 Oct 1776. N.A.853. then 1778 rollcall. SC. under Cols Sumter and Henderson. South Carolina. http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_sixth_regiment.html After serving in the 6th Regiment, David Gowen – served then in the militia under Col Roebuck before the fall of Charleston and was dead prior to Aug of 1786. A.A.3012B; A.A.3012A; X3520. http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html , https://www.fold3.com/image/21641759?terms=Going (service rec), https://www.fold3.com/image/291771578?terms=Going (roll),
10) David Goins served in Va drew pension in Hamilton Co. TN. Same as: David Goens of Halifax Co, Va joined Va militia – under Capt Peter Rogers Company out of Halifax Co, Va. His brother Laban Goens witness for him in pension app. https://www.fold3.com/image/1/22046869 (Pension app), https://www.fold3.com/image/249486351?terms=Goen (final pay voucher).
11) David Going in 6th Regt in Va. 1777 to 1778 troops out of Lunenburg, Pittsylvania, Capt Fox, Col Simms, Col Gibson https://www.fold3.com/image/23001065?terms=Going (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/9563580 (roll), https://www.fold3.com/image/9565344?terms=Going (roll),
12) Drury Goin served 1781 and 1782 duty in SC under Col. Winn. A.A.2924; O98. http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_fairfield_regiment.html (Drury “Groins”-sic).
13) Drury Goings in Greensville Co, Va donated gun for use in Revolution.
14) Edward Gowen – served in the militia under Col Roebuck after the fall of Charleston. A.A.3012B; X3521. (South Carolina – in John Buck Gowen’s unit). http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html
15) Edward Going from Granville, NC joined 5th Regt under Col Eaton. https://www.fold3.com/image/1/22780915 (pension). https://www.fold3.com/image/249489823?terms=Going (final payment voucher out of Fayetteville, NC).
16) Frederick Gowin – enlisted in the 2nd Regiment on 1 Aug 1779 under Capt Thos Moultrie. At some time he was a sergeant. Saffell, p. 292; N.A.246; N.A.853.
– Frederick Going on 2nd Regiment payroll with Rapes Going on as well in SC 1776.; Frederick Gowin in 1st Regiment in SC in 1779; Frederick Going m. Mary ____ , he was killed in the siege of Charleston. A.A.2923A.
17) Frederick Gowen pension app served Virginia troops was b. in Brunswick Co, turned into Greensville Co, Va – and served in Virginia under Capt James Robertson, Capt Cock, Capt Lawrence House, Maj William Boys, Col. Austin, Capt Turner Bynum, – old colored man abt 78 yrs old in 1838 pension app out of AL. Served in Va and in NC. https://www.fold3.com/image/22046846 (pension)
18) Gideon Goan served in the militia under Gen. Marion from Nov 1, 1781 to Jan 1, 1784. A.A.2914; Y1016.
19) Henry Goyen – served under Lt. John Hollis in the militia during 1782. A.A.3016; Q475.
20) Lt. Merry McGuire pension application with Isaac Goings and Rebecca Goins as witnesses for him in Union Dist, SC. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-99WB-HZSY?i=98&owc=collection%2F2068326%2Fwaypoints&wc=M61K-XTL%3A355077901&cc=2068326 ; https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89WB-HHPP?i=190&owc=collection%2F2068326%2Fwaypoints&wc=M61K-XTL%3A355077901&cc=2068326
21) Isham Gowen – served under Capt William Alexander, Col Wade Hampton, and Gen Sumter. A.A.3012C; M215. South Carolina.
Isom Goin – served in the light dragoons under Col Wade Hampton, A.A.2922A. South Carolina.
22) Jacob Gowen of Henry Co, Va joined Va entered militia in July 1780 under Capt Shelton and Lt Wells. Pension application was in Vermillion Co, Ill. https://www.fold3.com/image/1/21817322 (Pension app).
23) Jacob Goan in the 4th Regt of Foot in Va in 1777
24) Jacob Gowin in the 1st Regt in Va 1777
25) James Gowen – he was commissioned on Oct 28, 1775 as a third lieutenant in the Volunteer Company of Dragoons of Prince William’s Parish, (The Swift and Bold), under Capt Charles Browne. S.C.H.&G., III, 82. Pension app.
26) James Goyne – b. May 30, 1755. Mecklenburg Co, Va. While residing in Camden Dist., he was drafted during 1776 and served under Lt. Wm Daugherty, Capt. John Smith, and Col John Winn, of the militia. In late 1779 he volunteered to served under Capt John Nixon and marched into the Indian Country. Next he volunteered under Capt Charles ______. Lt. Col. Patrick McGriff, and Col Lacey and was in the battle at Biggin Church. In June 1782 he was drafted and served under Lt. Charles Pickett, and Maj Odear?. (Moved to Ga., and Miss). https://www.fold3.com/image/1/21832040 (pension app), https://www.fold3.com/image/250141415?terms=Goyne (final pay voucher).
27) James Gowen served in Tryon Co, NC
– TN, Warren Co – Thomas Brown pension app under James Gowen of Tryon Co, NC
28) James Gayn (or Goin) – SC
29) James Going in the 10th Regt Va 1777 to 1778 https://www.fold3.com/image/23159308 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/286923647 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/9096623?terms=Going (roll),
30) James Going under Capt Bynum in the 1st Regt of NC https://www.fold3.com/image/10202465?terms=Goin (roll), https://www.fold3.com/image/21066218 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/10202465?terms=Going (roll)
31) John Goin enlisted in the 4th Regiment on 15 Sept 1777. Served as a Capt under Gen Pickens during 1781. 4th Artillery Regt South Carolina. (Barnet, Thomas, S12971); N.A.853.
http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_fourth_regiment.html , https://www.fold3.com/image/22782587 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/291771544 (roll).
32) John Gowen – During 1779 built a stockade Fort at Jameison’s Station by order of Col William Wofford. Served as a Capt in the militia under Col Roebuck after the fall of Charleston. (McDowell, James Sr., R6695); (McElroy, James, S2786), A.A.3014; X760; X3522. John Buck Gowen – served as a major in the militia and pursued “Bloody Bill Bates”. Landrum p. 361.
– AL, Jefferson Co – John Brown pension app under John Gowen (or Goyne) in SC
– Ga – Jonas Dawson pension app under John Gowen in SC
– Ga – Robert Henderson pension app under John Gowen in SC
– KY, Allen Co – James McElroy pension app under John Gowen in SC
– NC, Burke Co – Samuel Turner pension app under John Gowen in SC
– NC, Lincoln Co – Samuel Caldwell pension app under John Gowen in SC
– SC, Spartanburg Co – Abraham Toney pension app under John Gowen in SC
– TN, Bedford Co – John Bearden pension app under John Gowen in SC
– AL, Perry Co – Thomas Barnet pension app under John Goin in SC
– Ark – William McKnight pension app under John Gowen in SC
– SC, Spartanburg – John Fowler pension app under John Gowen in SC
– TN, Marion Co – Stephen Thompson pension app under Capt John Gowen and Ensign Allin Gowen in SC
– SC, Spartanburg – Solomon Abbott pension app under John Gowen in SC
– TN, Anderson Co – Henry Adkins pension app under John Gowen in SC
– IN, Shelby Co – James Patterson pension app rescue of John Gowen from Bloody Bill Bates in SC
– IA – Jonathan Woody know John Gowen in SC
– NC, Rutherford Co – Alexander Copeland had John Goin his neighbor receive his indents
– SC, Anderson Dist – John Henderson pension app under John Gowen in SC
– SC, Spartanburg – James McDowell pension app under John Gowen in SC http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html
33) John Goyen – served in the militia under Lt. James Pickett, Capt Lewis, and Gen. Henderson during 1783. A.A.3017; Q474. SC
34) John Goen SC Sept 1777 disch Jan 2 1778. SC
35) John Goin in 3rd and 7th Regt in Va 1777 and 1778. https://www.fold3.com/image/22843802, https://www.fold3.com/image/22721765 , https://www.fold3.com/image/9970849?terms=Goin, https://www.fold3.com/image/9680952?terms=Goin , https://www.fold3.com/image/9970881?terms=Going (roll), https://www.fold3.com/image/9680940?terms=Going (roll)
37) Joseph Gowan 1778 in 14th Reg Va enlisted in Bedford Co, Va. Pension app in Madison Co, KY.
– TN, Rutherford Co – Benjamin Todd pension app with Joseph Gowen and Alfred Gowen as wits
– TN, Rutherford Co – Stephen Deboise pension app with Joseph Gowen as wit
– IN, Hendricks Co – Richard Barnes pension app wit for Joseph Gowen. https://www.fold3.com/image/21466337 (Pension app). https://www.fold3.com/image/23148969?terms=Going (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/286702973?terms=Going (certificate).
38) Landon S. Gowing applied for Revolution in Amherst Co, Va but was “too low” – in 1853 he was 87 yrs old and was witness for pension app for John Massey who did join Revolution out of Amherst Co, Va.
39) Levi Goines of Moore Co, NC pension app – volunteered in Fairfield Co, SC – pension app in Moore Co, NC in 1852, age abt 90 yrs. Under Capt. John Gray, and Col. John Winn, and Gen Richard Winn. Fairfield was the residence of his Captain. Removed from Fairfield Co, SC to Moore Co, NC shortly after close of Revolutionary War. After entering the service in 1780, he served under Capt John Gray, Col John Winn, and Gen Winn, and was at the Battle of Congaree Fort. R3865.
40) Nancy Gowen married to James Furnish in his pension app for Rev War
41) Rapes Going – enlisted in the 2nd Regiment on July 1, 1779 under Capt. Thos Hall. Saffell p. 292; N.A.853. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9WB-HCL6?i=75&owc=collection%2F2068326%2Fwaypoints&wc=M61K-XTL%3A355077901&cc=2068326 , https://www.fold3.com/image/23624544 (service rec),
42) Raverly Goin 6th Regiment in Virginia 1778 for 3 years and died in the Army
43) Samuel Going in 6th Regiment Va in 1776 and 1777
44) Sherard Going applied for pension in Albemarle Co Va, enlisted in 14th Reg Va. Capt Hawkins and Capt Overton Nov 1777 colored man. https://www.fold3.com/image/10102297?terms=Goin , https://www.fold3.com/image/10102385?terms=Going (roll)
45) Sheried Going – enlisted in the 5th Regiment SC on Aug 10, 1778. N.A.853.
http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_fifth_regiment.html, https://www.fold3.com/image/21959164?terms=Going (service record). https://www.fold3.com/image/291771566?terms=Going (roll).
46) Sheried Going in 5th Regt Virginia in 1782. https://www.fold3.com/image/249487849?terms=Going (Final pmt voucher out of Richmond Va). https://www.fold3.com/image/249487856?terms=Going (final payment voucher for widow Susannah Going out of Richmond Va). https://www.fold3.com/image/23301727 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/9648368?terms=Going (roll), https://www.fold3.com/image/286702749?terms=Going (certificate).
47) Sherod Going in 2nd and 10th Regt Va in 1779 to 1780. https://www.fold3.com/image/22014271?terms=Goin, https://www.fold3.com/image/22950364 , https://www.fold3.com/image/1/22778277 , https://www.fold3.com/image/23346282 (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/22014278?terms=Going (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/22950374?terms=Going (service rec). https://www.fold3.com/image/22950414?terms=Gowan (service rec)
48) Thomas Gowin in 10th Regt Va in 1779
49a) Thomas Goin in 1st Regt US, under Lieut Darke. Entered June 9, 1791. Capt William McCormick’s Company – Southeast of the Ohio https://www.fold3.com/image/287083971 (service rec).
50) William Goins in 12th Regt Va in 1777 https://www.fold3.com/image/286702753?terms=Going (certificate)
51) William Goyen – served in the milita under Capt Charles Lewis during 1782. A.A.3018. SC
52) William Goyen – Enlisted in the 3rd Regiment under Capt Thompson on July 24, 1776. South Carolina. N.A.853. http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_third_regiment.html , https://www.fold3.com/image/21660760?terms=Goyen (service rec), https://www.fold3.com/image/291771527 (roll)
53) William Gowen – served as a Captain in the militia during 1782. (A.A.1076). Fairfield County Regiment, South Carolina: http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_fairfield_regiment.html
54) William Gowan 1778 in 14th Reg Va
– TN, Bledsoe Co – Charles Thurman pension app served as substitute for William Gowen
– MO, Cooper Co – Achilles Eubank pension app served as substitute for William Gowen of Bedford Co, Va https://www.fold3.com/image/23149054?terms=Going (service record), https://www.fold3.com/image/10102873 (roll).
55) William Goings enlisted in Halifax Co, Va served in Va drew pension in Hawkins Co, TN in 1st Regiment light infantry under Capt Dixon
– witness for John Petty pension app in Hawkins Co, TN
– witness for John Leonard pension app in Hawkins Co , TN https://www.fold3.com/image/22778545 (pension info), https://www.fold3.com/image/249486380?terms=Going (final payment voucher in Knoxville, TN).
56) William Going in Surry Co, NC (from Henry Co and Patrick Co, Va) joined militia in 1781 under Capt Shaw and Gen Green. (Fold3 info (lots of info): https://www.fold3.com/image/22778389
– Va, Patrick Co – Joel Blancitt pension app with William Going of Surry Co, NC as wit https://www.fold3.com/image/249489828?terms=Going (final payment voucher in Fayetteville NC)
57) William Goin served as a sergeant in the light dragoons under Lt Col. Samuel Hammond. A.A.2923; M23. South Carolina (unk date)
58) William Gowing in Western Battalion Va in 1781
Allen Gowen served under John Buck Gowen in SC (96th): https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1750-allen-gowen-of-greenville-co-sc-son-of-joseph-gowen/
David Gowen died prior to 1786, in John Buck Gowen’s unit SC (96th): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html, https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1758-to-1763-david-gowen-of-fairfield-co-sc-and-tn/
Edward Gowen – in John Buck Gowen’s unit SC (96th): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html
John “Buck” Gowen was a Capt. in Col Benj Roebuck’s Spartan Regiment (96th). http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_roebucks_batallion.html, http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_upper_ninety_six_district_regiment.html, https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1736-john-buck-gowen-m-lettice-winn-bearden-in-1759-in-spartanburg-county-sc/
William Goin served under Lt Col Samuel Hammond in Hammond’s Regt of Light Dragoons (96th): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_hammonds_regiment.html, https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/3750-2/
William Goyen in the SC 3rd Regt Rangers under Col William Thomson (Merry McGuire in unit): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_third_regiment.html
Amos Goyen: killed by Tories in field in SC (Camden). https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1744-amos-goyen/
Daniel Goyen: served under LT John Hollis in militia (Camden). https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/daniel-going-b-abt-1753-married-to-jean-going-in-fairfield-co-sc/
Drury Goyen (Groins) served under Col Winn (Camden)(Fairfield Regt): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_fairfield_regiment.html, https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1749-drury-going-goyen/
Henry Goyen served under Lt. John Hollis in militia in 1782. (Camden) https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1758-henry-going-m-jane-hall-in-fairfield-county-sc/
James Goyne resided in Camden Dist when drafted in 1776 and served under Wm Daugherty, Capt John Smith, and Col John Winn. 1779 under Capt John Nixon. 1782 under Lt Charles Picket. (Camden) https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1755-james-goyne/
Levi Goines volunteered in Fairfield Co, SC, under Capt John Grey, Col John Winn. (Camden) https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1762-levi-goines/
William Gowen was a Capt under Col Winn (Camden)(Fairfield Regt): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/patriot_militia_sc_fairfield_regiment.html
Gideon Goan served in militia under Gen Marion fr 1781 to 1784.
James Gowen was commissioned on Oct 28, 1775 as a 3d lieutenant in the Volunteer Company of Dragoons in Prince William’s Parish (The Swift and the Bold) under Capt Charles Browne.
John Goin served in 4th Regiment enlisted Sept 15, 1777 under Gen Pickens in 1781 (Prince William/Beaufort/George Town): http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_fourth_regiment.html
Isham Going/Gowen in SC 1st Regt.: http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_first_regiment_of_state_dragoons.html
Sheried Going enlisted in 5th Regt in SC on Aug 10, 1778: http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_sc_fifth_regiment.html
Rapes Gowen enlisted in 2d Regt on July 1, 1779 under Capt Thos Hall:
Frederick Gowen enlisted in 2nd Regiment (also 1st Regt) – in 1779 under Capt Thos Moultrie and was killed in Charleston in 1780 – widow Mary Going applied for a pension. https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/1750-to-1760-frederick-gowen-fought-and-died-in-revolutionary-war-in-south-carolina-1776-1780/