1990 – 10 Oct Newsletter – GRF

Sections in this issue:

1) James Goyne Served the Revolution in Carolina;
2) I Am Proud to Be a Melungeon!;
3) Remember, son . . . When Watering the Calves Take Them One at a Time
(Claud Franklin Gowen short story);
4) Foundation Library Receives Easley Genealogy Volume;
5) Dear Cousins

All Gowen Manuscript Pages and Newsletters:   https://goyengoinggowengoyneandgone.com/gowen-research-foundation-pages-and-info/

Gowen Research Foundation Newsletter
Volume 2, No. 2 October 1990

1)  James Goyne Served the
Revolution in Carolina

James Goyne, son of Mary Goyne, was born May 30, 1755 in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, according to the research of Velma S. Brassell Beuerle, a descendant of Flint, Michigan.

Eva F. Smith, a descendant of Jena, Louisiana wrote in 1974 that the father of James Goyne, name unknown, was born in Scotland. He, a Scotch protestant, to escape Catholic religious
persecution, fled to France. There he was identified with the Huguenots, the French protestants and had to flee again when the religious intolerance rekindled in France against the Huguenots. He escaped to England where he obtained passage to Virginia.

Other members of the Goyne family appeared in Mecklenburg County at the same time. Bryan Goyne, believed to be a son of Mary Goyne and a brother to James Goyne, was
born about 1757, probably in Mecklenburg County also.

The descendants of Mary Goyne spelled the name in various ways. Generally, in Mississippi the surname became “Guynes.”

In Louisiana, “Goins” predominated, while in Virginia and Kentucky, “Gowan” was generally adopted.

James Goyne removed to Camden District, South Carolina and served there as a Revolutionary soldier in a militia company commanded by Capt. John Smith in the regiment of Col. John Winn, according to “Genealogical Abstracts of Revolutionary
War Pension Files” abstracted by Virgil D. White.

James Goyne was married about 1775 to Heather O’Brien, according to the research of Margaret Frances Goynes Olson, a descendant of Corpus Christi, Texas. After independence, James Goyne moved to Georgia, living successively in Burke, Warren
and Washington counties. Following his Georgia residence, he apparently lived in Tennessee in 1803. He removed to Louisiana and lived at Calcasieu in 1810. He received a land grant there in neutral territory which later became Vernon Parish.

In 1817 James Goyne was living in Hinds [later Copiah] County, Mississippi, according to “Mississippi Revolutionary Soldiers.” He continued to live there in 1823 and 1825 and appeared in Kemper County, Mississippi in 1834, according to Mrs. Beuerle. She is a “double descendant” of James Goyne, having two of his sons, John Goyne and James Goins, as her ancestors.

James Goyne made a declaration regarding his Revolutionary service in Kemper County May 18, 1836:

“On this 18th day of May, 1836, personally appeared before me, George Coatter, Judge of Circuit Court (the same being a court of record) now sitting in and for said county, James
Goyne, a resident of said county of Kemper and state of Mississippi. Aged about eighty-one years. Who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the
following Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed June 7, 1832. That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein often stated. That he lived in Camden District, state of South Carolina, at which place some time in June, 1776 when he was drafted to go to Charleston in order to intercept the British Fleet that was expected to land there under Col. John Wynn in Capt. John Smith’s Company of militia, Lt. William Daugherty. And
rendezvoused at Winnsborough in said state at the time last above mentioned and marched to Charleston and was stationed there together with said company to guard the town and after being there about a month he was marched back and dismissed about the last of July, 1776 having served about six weeks but received no written discharge–and that afterward on the last of January–as near as he can recollect– he was again drafted under the same officers as above in Camden District, South Carolina where he then resided and rendezvoused at Winnsborough. At the same time and was moved immediately to Charleston where he was stationed some time when said company joined General Ash from North Carolina and was then marched to Pluresburgh (?) near Savannah at which place he was stationed about eight days. When he was again dismissed or discharged and
returned home about the last of February, 1779–having served about one month during which service he was in no engagement nor did he receive any written discharge–and
that after remaining at home about four days he again entered the service of the U, S. as a drafted soldier under Col. John Wynn in Captain Francis Gedwells Company of Militia Lieutenant William Daugherty and rendezvoused at Winnsborough about the first of March 1779 near which place this declarent then resided and from where he was
marched to Savannah then near Augusta at which place he volunteered to go to Georgia to fight the Indians and put himself under Captain John Nixon and Col. Hamarm (?) and
was marched to Nightsborough (?) and from there to Falsom Fort on Abuchy (?) river and from which place the Indians retreated and were pursued by said company and overtaken
and a skirmish ensued in which seventeen Indians and two white men were killed and Major Ross was killed in the part of the re______ (?) . From there he was marched to Augusta and crossing the river they Joined their former companions– at which place they remained some time from where he was marched to Augusta together with the rest of the forces and joined General Lincoln about four miles below that plain– and marched down the river and crossing at Lummertins (?) ferry marched to Bains Bridge (?) near the head of Ashley  river where they remained some time–and there to stones (?)  at the big rice fields to meet the British who were encamped there–at which place he remained some time–and when his term of service expired he was discharged some time in June, 1779–but received no written discharge having served at this time three months and some days–from where he returned to Camden District where he continued to live until some time in June the precise time he cannot recollect–at which time he volunteered to go to the assistance of General Greene at the siege of Ninety-Six put himself under Captain
Charles Reeves in Col. Edward Lacys Lieut. Col. Patrick McGreffe and Major John O’Lears regiment of volunteers we met together on the road about fourteen miles from
Winnsborough at the time last mentioned we then marched to Congaree River there we rested and endeavored to intercept Lord Rawdon on his march from Ninety-Six to Charleston. He retreated to Orangeburg and encamped there we had joined General Greene’s army before we got to Orangeburg. We then marched to the Eutaw Springs. We
then (joined) General Sumters Army and marched to a church about thirty miles from Charleston at which place we were attacked by a British troop of horse (?). We had a
skirmish in which they were defeated we killed one and took seven prisoners who that night set fire to the church and fled we pursued them to —–(?). We there had a fight in which we lost about forty killed and wounded. They retained possession of the houses we were not able to dislodge them.

We then marched to Santee, crossed and then to Sumters ponds. We lay there some time and were then discharged about the first of September, 1781. He got no written discharge. He served at that time months and a half. He continued to live at the same place till about the first of June, 1782. at time he was drafted to keep the Tories in Edisto in subjection. They met at Owensborough at the time last mentioned he was under the command of Lieut. Charles Picket and Major O’Dear. They then marched to Edisto at Youngs Compound and were there stationed. They took some Tory women and sent them to Charleston. They lay there one month and was there discharged. He got no written discharge. He served in the whole nine months and ten days for which he claims pension. He has no testamentary
evidence and he knows of no person whose testimony he can procure who can testify to his service. He knows no clergyman whose testimony he can procure who could testify to
the report of his service. He hereby relinquishes every claim to a pension or annuity except the present and declared that his name is not on the pension roll of agency of any state. He
was born in Mecklenburgh County, Virginia, on the 30th of May 1755. He has a record of his age at home in his bible.

He has lived since the Revolutionary War in the following places. He lived in Camden District till about 1784 and then moved to Burke County, Georgia, lived there about five
years then to Warren County, Georgia, lived there about two years then to Washington County, Georgia, lived there about five years then to Hancock County, lived there about three years, moved to Louisiana in St. Helena parish, lived there about five years then to Lawrence lived there about two years and from there to Copiah County, Mississippi where
he resided until December, 1834 when he removed to Kemper County aforesaid where he now resides–He was called into service in the name of the aforesaid and never served as
a substitute. He was acquainted with Col Bratens Regiment of Militia, Col. Wade Hamptons troop of Cavalry, also with Major Boykins Troops of Cavalry and with Col. Lee and
Washingtons Troops of Cavalry that he never received a commission or written discharge during the Revolutionary war. He also states that there is no clergyman in his  neighborhood to whom he is known but that Hugh McDonald, William Herbert, William Brister and Ridings Sessums are well acquainted with him in his present neighborhood and can testify as to his reputation and character for truth.

Sworn to and subscribed in open Court May 18, 1836.

Lewis Stovall, Clerk
James Goyne (signature)

Also, Hugh McDonald, William Herbert, Ridings Sessums and William Brister, residents of County of Kemper and State of Mississippi hereby certify that we are well acquainted with James Goyne who has subscribed and sworn to the above Declaration that we believe him to be 80 years of age that he is reputed and believed in the neighborhood where he resides to have been a soldier of the Revolution and that we concur in that opinion.

Subscribed in open court May 18, 1836.

Hugh McDonald
William Herbert
William Brister

And the said George Coatter declares it as his opinion after the investigation of the matter and after putting the interrogations prescribed by the War Department that the above  named applicant was a revolutionary soldier and served as he states and said court further certifies that it appears to him that Hugh McDonald, William Herbert and William Brister
who are signed to the foregoing certificate are residents of the said county and that they are credible persons and that these statements are entitled to credit.

George Coatter now presiding in the sixth Judicial District Mississippi including the County of Kemper.”

The foregoing was copied from a reproduction of the original with little or no changes of spelling, punctuation, phrasing, etc.

James Goyne received a Revolutionary War pension, No. 30770 July 22, 1836. An abstract of his pension record appeared in “Mississippi Genealogical Exchange,” Volume 3, published in 1959.

Children born to him include:

John Goyne born July 5, 1776
Sarah Goyne born about 1789
James Goins born about 1790
Wiley Williamson Goynes born December 2, 1799
John Goyne, son of James Goyne, was born July 5, 1776,

according to “Mississippi Revolutionary Soldiers.” His birth was in Camden District. He was married, probably in Georgia, December 8, 1800 to Matilda Hall who was born August 12, 1783 in North Carolina, according to Velma S. Brassell Beuerle.

She was the daughter of Henry Hall and Mary Jane Ross Hall.

It is believed that John Goyne and Matilda Hall Goyne accompanied his father in a move to Tennessee about 1803 and then to Calcasieu Parish where they were located in 1810. John Goyne was commissioned a captain in the Louisiana militia during the War of 1812 which ended with the Battle of New Orleans January 8, 1815.

In 1817 they were living in Hinds County, Mississippi. “John Goynes” appeared in the Copiah County tax list of 1823, the first year of the county’s existence, it having been carved from Hinds County in that year. He paid $2.25 tax on “one poll and two slaves.” The family farm was located seven miles east of Hazelhurst, Mississippi. “Briant Goynes,” his son and Ancous [Angus?] Goynes also appeared in the tax list, each paying 75c for “one poll.” Also appearing in the 1823 tax list of Copiah County was “Wiley W. Goynes,” brother to John Goyne.

“Wiley Goynes” appeared as the head of a household in the 1830 census of adjoining Lawrence County:

“Goynes, Wiley white male 20-40
white female 20-40
white male 0-10
white male 0-10
white female 0-10
white female over 60”

Wiley W. Goynes had removed from Lawrence County to Kemper District, Mississippi on the Alabama state line by the time of the 1840 census. Four members of the family were engaged in agriculture. In that year his household was listed on page 6 as:

“Goynes, Wiley white male 40-50
white female 30-40
white male 10-15
white male 10-15
white female 10-15
white male 5-10
white female 5-10
white male 0-5
white male 0-5
white female 0-5”

During the Civil War “Wiley W. Goynes, Co. B, First Louisiana Infantry Regiment,” perhaps a son of the householder above was killed in a battle near Lynchburg, Virginia. He was buried in Lynchburg Cemetery, according to “Behind the Old Brick Wall” by Evelyn Lee Moore.

Generally, the family name was changed to “Guynes” in 1833, according to “Guynes Family History” written by John A. Sands who gave no reason for the surname change. John  Guynes died August 15, 1840. Matilda Hall Guynes was enumerated as the head of a household in the 1840 census of Copiah County, page 116. She was the owner of 10 slaves, five of whom where engaged in agriculture:

“Guynes, Matilda white female 50-60
white male 15-20
white female 10-15”

Matilda Guynes died January 26, 1865. They were buried near Georgetown, Mississippi in Copiah County.

Children born to John Goyne and Matilda Hall Goyne are believed to include:

Bryant W. Goyne born November 23, 1801
Henry Hall Goyne born April 18, 1803
James Goyne born July 25, 1805
Mary “Polly” Goyne born February 28, 1807
Priscilla Goyne born about 1808
Wyatt Goyne born March 22, 1809
George Ross[?] Goyne born about 1810
Elbert Goyne born about 1811
Sarah Goyne born about 1814
John Goyne, Jr. born February 26, 1813
Nancy Goyne born about 1817
Harmon Goyne born about 1820
Matilda Goyne born about 1823
Alzada Goyne born about 1826

2)  I Am Proud to Be a Melungeon!

By M. Ruth Johnson

Winding roads will take you high upon Newman’s Ridge where a large group of people once lived. They became known as the Melungeons. Few of these courageous people had indoor plumbing or running water. They lived in modest log homes and carried water from nearby springs, except for the fortunate few who had their own well.

Some of these people moved far away from the magnificent mountains with all their beauty, never to return. They located wherever they could find work. Those who remained carved out a living on the mountain, growing all their food, including the grain for flour and meal. They hunted and fished for most of their meat, although they raised some pigs, chickens and calves for meat. All vegetables were grown on their farms and were always
in bountiful supply. Food preservation was quite an art, using their own methods of drying, canning, underground storage and curing meats to perfection, thus they were able to feed their families through the cold winter months.

Spring days were cool and used mostly for clearing the land and readying it for planting of the crops. Summer was so hot that straw hats were worn outside, and new ones decorated the landscape every spring.

New straw hat, barefoot and hoe in hand readied you for work in the fields. Joyous were the words, “Lay them by this time” which meant the last hoeing of the season. Weeding and tilling were constant chores. A small weed this week would be four feet tall next week!

Each season brought its own special pleasures. Springtime on the mountain was a grand awakening of nature with trees putting out new growth in every shade of green imaginable, wild flowers springing up everywhere, snow melted off and resulting
waterfalls cascading down the mountainside made delightful music–it was an exciting time. Spring also brought the work of readying for planting crops which was hard work, but a happy time, too.

Winter was so cold that laundry froze on the line before you could get it hung out. In only a moment the clothes would be stiff as a board. I used to wonder if they would actually break!

Snow was plentiful and so deep that paths had to be dug in order to get from one area to another. Fortunately wood for the fireplace and stove was abundantly available, and we were warm and cozy. Boots and galoshes were a necessity. Cold winter nights were fun-filled, popping popcorn, baking potatoes or onions in the fireplace ashes and reading fairy tales and bible stories. Dad played the guitar or banjo, and we would all sing along. Often neighbors joined us in games like “Who’s got the Thimble?” We made candy, listened to the radio and played the old Victrola.

Travel on the mountain was mostly done on foot or horseback. Overnight guests meant bringing out the pallets so guests could have your bed. Beds were mostly straw or feather ticks. Sometimes you lucked out and got box springs with a mattress on top. No matter, company was exciting, and no one complained about sleeping on the floor.

Farm animals included horses, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, guineas, ducks, dogs and cats. It was alarming to hear the chickens being frightened in the night and to know that “that old red fox has come back.” When a hawk hovered overhead, the chickens would flee under trees and bushes and remain very still.

All the children had chores to do, and they knew to do them on time. There were trips to the spring for water each morning and each evening, and it was two buckets per trip. Bath nights meant extra trips. Washing clothes was done near the spring.

There was a big black cast-iron kettle there over an open fire. First you boiled the clothes with home-made lye soap, then you rinsed, and then you rinsed again and added blueing.
In the old days, there was no food stamps or welfare. The people either made it or they grew it–they made do. There were no refrigerators so milk was placed in springs to keep it fresh.

Electricity finally came to mountain about 1949, and almost everyone hooked on, adding a light to each room, usually a naked light bulb suspended from the middle of the ceiling in each room with a switch just below the bulb. This was certainly an improvement over the “coal oil” lamp, but the lamp could be carried from room to room. Lightning rods were in vogue. If your house didn’t have a lightning rod, you were “pore,” so everyone had to get one to keep up appearances.

These were God-fearing people, and they were in church several times a week. The revivals would go on for weeks–as long as people would “come forward” and repent. The only thing I hated was the special nights, two or three times a year, given over to snake-handling. Usually only two or three people handled the copperheads and rattlesnakes. My parents were prominent during the singing, but when snake-handling time came, they always moved back. I always sat in the pew with my feet up under me, in case a snake got loose and came slithering in my direction. I decided then and there that I was never going to be a snake-handler.

Historians and writers have regarded the Melungeons in different ways. Sometimes they praised their independence; sometimes they criticized their aloofness. Some appraisals were fair, and some were unfair–some were good, and some were bad.

Good or bad, they were the most wonderful people in the whole world to me. The bad stories that made them feel put down, made some not willing to admit being kin to the Melungeons and caused them not to trust strangers. That was always sad to me because they were pretty much like everyone else, only they had to work harder to earn a living up on the mountain. They loved nature, minded their own business and respected each other.

They were a proud people, and I have learned to appreciate and respect them. I am proud to say that I am a descendant of the very first settlers of Newman’s Ridge. I am a proud to be a Melungeon!

3)  Remember, son . . .
When Watering the Calves
Take Them One at a Time

Seven-year-old Claud Franklin Gowen was ecstatic that his favorite relative, Aunt Delia Bankston had come to their farm for a visit. To have more time for her stories on that cool, crisp morning in central Texas, he was rushing through his chores.

One of his early-morning jobs was to lead the calves down the path to the creek. After the first one drank to his fill, he returned him to the lot and slipped his rope around the neck of the next calf to repeat the process. Finally, when he was down to the last two, the biggest ones, he concluded that he could speed up the process if he took them two at a time.

He thoughtfully tied the ends of the ropes together so that the calves could not separate on him. As he started down the path with his yearlings, they, thirstier than the others, broke into a run. Although he dug in his heels, young Claud found that he could not check them in their race to the creek and finally had to release them.

There was a landmark, the family two-holer, also located on the path. The calves passed it on the run; one went to the left and one went to the right, and the outhouse went flat on its back.

Finally, an even bigger shock to young Claud was seeing the privy portal open like a cellar door. Climbing out was a somewhat disheveled Aunt Dee.

4)  Foundation Library Receives
Easley Genealogy Volume

“Now Living in Boone County, Missouri–Our Family Genealogies,” a 679-page history of the Easley family was a recent prized addition to the Foundation Library. The volume was
compiled and published by Virginia Easley DeMarce, Foundation member of Arlington, Virginia and former president of the National Genealogical Society.

The Easleys, a prominent family in colonial Greenville County, South Carolina, were closely associated with the Gowens there.

William Easley was married to Sarah Gowen, daughter of Maj. John “Buck” Gowen, and his sister, Ann Gowen was married to Lt. John Easley. Mrs. DeMarce’s volume delineates these
Easley-Gowen descendants from the Revolutionary period to 199O. Cost of the book is $35 and may be ordered from the author at 5635 N. 15th Road, Arlington, VA, 22207.


The Foundation’s kickoff of the Membership Campaign for 1991 was accorded a tremendous reception in its first month.

Many members enclosed gift memberships for “new cousins” while renewing their own for the new year. This accelerated growth tends to confirm the directors’ expectations for a great expansion in the new year. Plans call for doubling the size of the organization and for doubling the size of the Foundation’s operating budget–all without increasing the membership dues schedule.

New members affiliating now are offered memberships which begin immediately and extend through December 31, 1991.

Current members are also offered the same bonus–15 months for the price of 12!

Current members are invited to send along with their renewals the names of prospective members for 1991. Sample copies of the Newsletter will be mailed by the Foundation to every cousin interested in preserving the family heritage.

Indicate the type of membership you have selected, and Linda McNiel will get your 1991 membership cards in the mail promptly. The form below may also be used to request gift
memberships for members of your family. The Foundation will send gift cards acknowledging your thoughtfulness, both to you and the recipients.

5)  Dear Cousins

I was sent a copy of the March 1990 edition of the Newsletter and am happy to enclose my check for membership in the Foundation.

I am seeking information on Col. George A. Gowin who was born in NC about 1827. He came to Hamilton County, TN about 1852 and was married there November 24, 1852 to Elizabeth McGill, daughter of John and Elizabeth Patterson McGill.

The Gowins had six children, two of whom died in infancy. He is believed to have taught at Fairmount Academy on Walden’s Ridge before the War Between the States. In the 1860 census he was shown as “school teacher;” in 1870 he was recorded as “physician.”

During the war he fought with the Union Army in the Sixth Tennessee Mounted Infantry, U.S.A. [commanding officer] and afterwards was active in Hamilton County politics [nominated for Congress in 1880.]

He established the “Unconditional,” a newspaper in Harrison, TN and was once editor of a weekly newspaper, the “Monitor.” He lived in Daisy, TN in his later years where he  practiced medicine and was a Methodist minister. His death date is unknown, but it was between August 1881 and October 1883. George and Elizabeth Gowin, along with two infant
daughters are buried in Soddy, TN Presbyterian Cemetery.

There is a government headstone for Gowin, but it contains no dates. One of my objectives is to discover his date of death so that I can mark his grave appropriately.

Also I am interested in the Gowin family’s connection to the Melungeons and hope that a Foundation member can assist me. T. R. Williams, Jr, 6400 Middle Ridge Lane,  Chattanooga, TN, 37343. 615/842-7285

==Dear Cousins==

The Newsletter announcing the Preservation Committee and its work on private family cemeteries prompted me to offer to serve on the Preservation Committee. My great grandfather, William Benjamin Gowen is buried here in Hurricane Hollow in a small, unprotected cemetery in a grove of oak trees on a pasture knoll with cattle grazing around. Now, one of the items on “My agenda of Important Things to Do is to get the Cemetery
fenced and improved. It’s a terrible thing that we haven’t done it sooner. Miriam Dendy, 1800 Ballard Drive, Huntsville, AL, 35801.

==Dear Cousins==

Thank you for the information the Foundation sent from the Gowen manuscript on the Gowen individuals buried in the family cemetery near the Nashville airport. It seems the cemetery will probably be affected by the development of the new airport runway. To date, the exact nature of the effect and how it can be mitigated has not been determined. We will of course consult with you and other family members about any impact to the cemetery.

Dirk Calvin, your Preservation Chairman, and I visited the Gowen Cemetery and nearby Buchanan Cemetery, and the graves enclosed by the stone wall are still evident.

There are quantities of pottery, buttons, glass and bones–all items usually associated with a household site. The artifacts all seem to date from the early to mid-19th century, the time when the Gowens were living there.

Our research on the William Gowen tract is continuing, and as new information becomes available, I’ll be sure to let you know. Steve Rogers, Historic Preservation Specialist, Tennessee Historical Commission, 701 Broadway, Nashville, TN, 37243.

==Dear Cousins==

In connection with the Foundation’s interest in historic preservation, Evelyn Chase, a cousin in York, ME sent the enclosed article and photos about Angevine Gowen’s home
[August Newsletter] which is being considered as an historic landmark by the Historic Commission.

It was interesting to note in the last Newsletter that you have sold your business and are now giving full time to the Foundation. In reading the paper I don’t wonder that you have
no time for anything else. You and your associates are doing a great job. Congratulations!

I am enclosing my 1991 membership and asking you to enter one for the Stratham Historical Society. This is my gift to the Society which is now becoming actively interested in the family heritage. Best wishes to all of you as you enter into an exciting new year. Margaret P. Tate, 34 Washington St, Exeter, NH, 03833.

==Dear Cousins==

I have had so many inquiries, from as far away as California, about the Melungeons and the Gowen Research Foundation [Dallas Morning News, 4/29/90] that I plan to give your address in my column sometime in November if its all right with you. Thus, the inquiries can come directly to you. A. C. Greene, 4359 Shirley Drive, Dallas, TX, 75229.

==Dear Cousins==

Please add us to the Foundation. We have researched the Goan family name in County Donegal Ireland and have copies of letters from that area dating back to the early 1800s. Our great-grandmother was a Goan, and we were able to secure her death certificate. We have located her descendants in several countries. Would our material be of interest to you? Charlotte A. McShea, Ph.D, 5250 H35 North, Rt. 3, Box 290, Columbia, MS, 39429.

==Dear Cousins==

The last few issues of your Newsletter have been passed along to me, and they contain more research ideas than I can digest quickly. The August issue had Robert Goyen of Australia mentioning his New Zealand cousin’s interest in the Huguenots of France. This is the first time that anything has rung a bell for me. My great-grandfather Frank Gowen of Wiltshire married Ariadne Havell [perhaps DuHavell], thought to be of Huguenot
descent. Her father taught Greek at a private school in England and gave all his daughters Greek names. Thanking you and Mr. Goyen for getting me started at my roots again. It’s a
fascinating hobby, but not the easiest to get “gowen” at. Robert Gowen, 909 Cumberland St, New Westminstcr, BC, Canada, V3L 3H2.

Gowen Research Foundation Newsletter
Arlee Gowen, Editor
Linda McNiel, Circulation

Gowen Research Foundation
806/795-8758 or 795-9694
5708 Gary Avenue E-mail: gowen@llano.net
Lubbock, Texas, 79413


NOTE:  The above information produced by the Gowen Research Foundation (GRF), and parts of the “Gowen Manuscript” they worked on producing.  It has tons of information – much of it is correct, but be careful, some of it is not correct – so check their sources and logic.  I’ve copied some of their information in the past researching my own family, only to find out there were some clear mistakes.   So be sure to check the information to verify if it is right before citing the source and believing the person who researched it before was 100% correct.  Most of the information I found there seems to be correct, but some is not.

Their website is:  Internet: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gowenrf

There does not seem to be anyone “manning the ship” at the Gowen Research Foundation, or Gowen Manuscript site any longer, and there is no way to contact anyone about any errors.   The pages themselves don’t have a mechanism to leave a note for others to see any “new information” that you may have that shows when you find info that shows something is wrong, or when something has been verified.

Feel free to leave messages about any new information found, or errors in these pages, or information that has been verified that those who wrote these pages may not have known about.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s